Le Relais at Poulmarvezen Holiday Cottages (Sleeps 6 in 3 bedrooms, two shower rooms, one en-suite, WiFi)
On the ground floor there is a very large open plan lounge with dining area and fully fitted kitchen, tiled throughout with rose-coloured terracotta tiles, which contrast nicely with the clean white walls and 300 year-old beams, and the prie-dieu used by pilgrims for washing and praying. Built in 1729.
The lounge area has comfortable sofas and pieces of traditional French furniture. TV, DVD, Wi-Fi. The smart kitchen area is complete with single-drainer sink unit, fridge-freezer, gas cooker, and microwave oven.
On the first floor there is a spacious double bedroom with en-suite shower room, a twin room. On a slightly higher level there is a second double bedroom and second shower room.
Very high white-boarded ceilings with all roof timbers on show, full of character.
In the corner of the dining area there is a stone receptacle, underneath an arched niche, thought to be for storing salted meat. Sadly the front section has been smashed out. During renovations the stone flag floor had to be lifted, imagine our surprise to find part of the broken stone receptacle, which had a cross carved into it. The assumption is that this was deliberately broken out during the French revolution, and hidden. It had lain there for nearly 200 years when we found it. The stone flags that had been removed were deemed to difficult to relay, they were all different sizes. Worst of all, different thicknesses, anything from 3″ to 9″, and not even flat. They are now residing in a local chateau that was being renovated at the time.